Palo Santo (Bursera graveolens) is a species of tree that is native to South America, and it is closely related to myrrh and copal. The meaning of the name in Spanish is “holy wood”.
Palo Santo is known for its ability to cleanse rooms or people. It’s used by many prior to spiritual ceremony to remove and cleanse negative energy in people and spaces before and after ceremonies. The wood creates a light fresh smoke, with a sweet and pleasant smell. The smoke is also great at keeping mosquitos and other insects away.
Palo santo is used in either its natural form or chopped into small pieces before being set alight for its smoke. It’s essence can also be used to create Palo Santo oil.
This Essential Oil is great for aromatherapy and can also be used during massage work to assist in healing.
Another traditional use of it is to relieve the effects of the common colds, flu symptoms, stress, asthma, headaches, anxiety, depression, inflammation, emotional pain and more.
Other common uses include calming the immune and nervous systems for faster recovery from illness. In its essential oil form, it works well for reducing physical pain and inflammation, because it contains high levels of d-limonene and monoterpenes that are useful for relieving some cancer symptoms.
The best part of this magical tree is that it is wildcrafted and sustainably harvested by a family that has planted over 30,000 trees back into the area over the last 10 years. The essential oil can only be extracted from dead trees and fallen branches using “Vapor Distillation” without the use of dangerous chemicals or solvents. This ensures a high-quality product that is cultivated through 100% sustainable and natural means, and is cared for with love and respect.
- Use a candle, match or lighter to ignite your stick of Palo Santo
- Hold at approximately a 45-degree angle pointing the tip down toward the flame.
- Allow it to burn for about 30 secs to 1 minute and then blow out.
- Move about your workspace, home, car, bathroom or any space you would like to clear energy.
- When finished, place the stick in a fireproof bowl of metal, glass, or clay.
- The embers will end on their own unless you blow on the ember which will keep the Palo Santo burning.
- Remember to always use caution and respect when working with fire.
The rich smell will bring peace and clarity to the moment along with good feelings.